Saturday, May 02, 2009

BOOK: Pragmatic Thinking and Learning

The Pragmatic Bookshelf totally rocks!!! I received my 3rd edition of the pickaxe book: Programming Ruby 1.9, which reminds me that I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of Programming Scala (some excerpts are available now).

The "Pragmatic" book I most recently finished is Pragmatic Thinking & Learning: Refactor Your Wetware, by Andy Hunt. Not quite two years ago, I tackled two similar books: Mind Hacks and Mind Performance Hacks. Both of those books cover a bit more material than PT&L does, but I found Pragmatic Thinking & Learning to be a bit more readable. It was also a good companion to the other two since I'd already gone through them once before. The coverage of R-mode versus L-mode reminded a bit of Dan Pink's A Whole New Mind: Why Right Brainers will Rule the Future.

So I'd have to say I definitely would recommend Pragmatic Thinking & Learning: Refactor Your Wetware, by Andy Hunt from the Pragmatic Programmer's bookshelf. Oh yeah! When I finished reading through the book, the 2nd-to-last page was a handy, dandy & concise summary of all the tips in the book. NICE!

No comments: